[Freeipmi-users] ipmiping newbie question

From: Rene Salmon
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiping newbie question
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:13:23 -0600

Hi list,

Could not find enough docs to help me with this so I am hopping some one can point me in the right direction on setting this up.

I have two IBM e325 servers one has freeipmi installed on it and the other does not.

Server A has freeimpi installed and it has an IPMI IP address of 192.168.0.10 which was setup by IBM utility lancfg.
Server A has two interfaces eth0 and eth1

eth0 => public IP
eth1 => no IP assigned by the OS but it does have a crossover ethernet cable connecting it to server B.

Server B is up an running and it has IPMI IP address of 192.168.0.11 setup by IBM utility lancfg.
Server B has two interfaces eth0 and eth1

eth0=> no IP assigned by the OS.
eth1=> no IP assigned by the OS but it does have a crossover ethernet cable connecting it to server A.

If I understand the way this works correctly Server B can actually be powered off with no OS and as long as the server is connected to the network and has power it should replay to the ipmiping and other commands correct?

When I log into Server A and type ipmiping I get nothing:

Server A# ipmiping 192.168.0.11
ipmiping 192.168.0.11 (192.168.0.11)
response timed out: rq_seq=5
--- ipmiping 192.168.0.11 statistics ---
2 requests transmitted, 0 responses received in time, 100.0% packet loss

Server A# ipmiping 192.168.0.10
ipmiping 192.168.0.10 (192.168.0.10)
response timed out: rq_seq=51
--- ipmiping 192.168.0.10 statistics ---
2 requests transmitted, 0 responses received in time, 100.0% packet loss

As you can see Server A can't even ping itself. Any idea as to what I am missing here?

Thanks
Rene

--
-