Re: [Freeipmi-users] Re: BMC IP

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Re: BMC IP
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:20:13 -0700

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 14:56 -0700, Al Chu wrote:
> The IPMI card cannot really be considered a network card.  The best it
> can be considered is a packet sniffer.  It sits on your motherboard's
> ethernet NIC and will "eat up" and respond to IPMI packets.  It can do
> nothing else.

Let me re-phrase this actually, since I may have said something things
that could be mis-interpreted.

"If an ethernet card has an IPMI interface, it cannot be considered to
have two network interfaces.  There is only one.  The IPMI interface
should be considered more of a packet sniffer.  It sits on your
motherboard's ethernet NIC and will "eat up" and respond to IPMI
packets.  It can do nothing else."

925-422-5311