[Freeipmi-users] Inconsistencies in Ipmitool when using Get Channel info

From: Raghavendra G
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Inconsistencies in Ipmitool when using Get Channel info command.
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:59:15 +0530

Hi all,

I am trying to bridge the "Get Channel Info" command to one of the
blades(0x82) through the Shelf Manager.

Implicitly bridged using -t option to ipmitool. Works fine. But not able to
get the channel medium type. I am assuming it to be IPMB-0.
address@hidden ipmi]$ ipmitool  -I lan -H shelfmanager1 -A none -t0x82
channel info
Channel 0x0 info:
 Channel Medium Type   : reserved
 Channel Protocol Type : reserved
 Session Support       : session-less
 Active Session Count  : 0
 Protocol Vendor ID    : 0

Explicitly bridged in the raw command. No output is seen.
address@hidden ipmi]$ ipmitool  -I lan -H shelfmanager1 -A none raw 0x6
0x34 0x40 0x82 0x18 0x66 0x20 0 0x42 0x0e 0x90
<No output>

Implicitly bridged but uses raw command instead of "Channel info" of
Ipmitool. No output.
address@hidden ipmi]$ ipmitool -I lan -H shelfmanager1 -A none -t0x82
raw 0x6 42 0xe
<no output>

Implicitly bridged and uses "channel Info". Works fine.
address@hidden ipmi]$ ipmitool -I lan -H shelfmanager1 -A none -t0x82
channel info
Channel 0x0 info:
 Channel Medium Type   : reserved
 Channel Protocol Type : reserved
 Session Support       : session-less
 Active Session Count  : 0
 Protocol Vendor ID    : 0

Below is the experiment to show that the raw string for "Channel info" is
valid.
address@hidden ipmi]$ ipmitool -I lan -H shelfmanager1 -A none raw 0x6
0x42 0xe
01 04 01 81 f2 1b 00 00 00

address@hidden ipmi]$ ipmitool -I lan -H shelfmanager1 -A none channel
info
Channel 0x1 info:
 Channel Medium Type   : 802.3 LAN
 Channel Protocol Type : IPMB-1.0
 Session Support       : multi-session
 Active Session Count  : 1
 Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154
 Volatile(active) Settings
   Alerting            : enabled
   Per-message Auth    : enabled
   User Level Auth     : enabled
   Access Mode         : always available
Non-Volatile Settings
  Alerting            : enabled
   Per-message Auth    : enabled
   User Level Auth     : enabled
   Access Mode         : always available

Now the questions are,
1. Why the "Get channel info" is not succeeding when issued to blade using
the raw command, but succeeding when issued through "Channel Info" command
of Ipmitool?
2. I am not able to bridge the Get channel info command to the blade, that
may be because the raw command itself is failing.

regards,

--
Raghavendra G
OpenClovis Solutions, Bangalore