[Freeipmi-users] Re: IPMI on ASUS

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Re: IPMI on ASUS
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:45:33 -0700

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 00:29 +0800, Damien Mascord wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Thanks for your quick response on this issue!

I take it that ipmipower and ipmimonitoring now work?

> I have tried the following command lines:
>
> $ ipmiconsole -X -A -F -h x.x.x.x -u admin -p XXXXXX -l admin
> [error received]: k_g invalid

Ahh, it seems this is also a bug on their systems.  The K_g on the
remote side is all 0's, yet the authentication status:

203.12.2.176: [               1h] = authentication_status.k_g[ 1b]

indicates a K_G is required.  I'll add that to the list for Asus.  I
should also update the workaround to work around this issue as well.
That'll be in the 0.4.4 release.

> $ ipmiconsole -X -A -F -h x.x.x.x -u admin -p XXXXXX -k 0x00 -l admin
> [error received]: privilege invalid
>
> $ ipmiconsole -A -X -h x.x.x.x -u admin -p XXXXXX -k 0x00 -c 0
> ipmiconsole_submit: internal error

These last two indicate a potential config problem.  Could you run a --
debug and --debugdump on them?

Thanks,
Al

> I am a bit skeptical that the SOL_Conf is setup correctly, given the
> fact that the bmc-config reports:

> Section SOL_Conf
> EndSection

I know that hte SOL_Conf reading has problems on the ASUS motherboards.
So we're working on that issue too :-)  The default config they have
setup should be fine.

Al

> Is there any debug that you would like me to try out ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Damien
>

> Al Chu wrote:
> > Hey Damien,
> >
> > The ASUS motherboards have some IPMI compliance problems.  I'm currently
> > working with them on getting the firmware fixed.  Until then, FreeIPMI
> > 0.4.3 has some IPMI compliance workarounds to get around hte ASUS
> > problems.  (The command line options are different for different tools,
> > which is annoying, sorry.  I've fixed this for the FreeIPMI 0.5.X
> > release.)
> >
> > Please try the --workaround-flags=usercap workaround in ipmipower.  For
> > ipmimonitoring, it's the -A option.  And in ipmiconsole, the workaround
> > is the -A option and the -X option together.
> >
> > There is (what I believe to be) a sequence number problem on the ASUS
> > motherboards that results in ipmiconsole having some problems during
> > some boot activities (i.e. entering the BIOS).  I'm working with them on
> > this too.
> >
> > LMK how things work for you.
> >
> > Al

925-422-5311