Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-autoconfig: drop for 0.5.0 release?

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-autoconfig: drop for 0.5.0 release?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:14:38 -0700

I have been working with a user on a BMC config issue with their
machine.  I'm now disinclined to support the committing of a default
template.

1) Many different machines support different configuration options.
Included in this are: ipmi 1.5 only options vs ipmi 2.0 options vs.
optionally supported options vs. newer errata options vs. flat out
unsupported options.  So do we support the full template (so most
options will fail by default) or do we support a minimal template (most
options aren't listed).

2) Due to the IP address and MAC address being required for modification
(and likely subnet + gateway too), at minimum, the user must edit the
template anyways, we cannot create a default template that will work
without modification.

I think the better idea is to store a template in the docs location and
mention it in the bmc-config manpage.  I have also written into the bmc-
config manpage some general use instructions, so they know they should
run --checkout to create a config template first.

Any thoughts?

Al

925-422-5311