Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:24:58 -0800

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 14:59 -0800, Kevin Fox wrote:
> In case it helps anyone, after a lot of probing and help from Al/IBM
> (thanks again), we discovered that some IBM BMC's have real problems
> with BMC's crashing if they see too many ethernet broadcasts. Isolating
> the BMC's to its own network helped, as was turning off some broadcast
> traffic the switches were doing, but the biggest help was setting the
> IP/MAC address of the node running ipmipower as the Gateway addresses in
> the BMC. The BMC's were each doing an ARP request back to the node
> running ipmipower and then some smallish random set were blowing their
> brains out under the resulting broadcast storm.

I was a little confused, so I had Kevin clarify in an out-of-thread e-mail:

By setting the ipmipower IP/MAC address as the Gateway address in the
remote BMCs (i.e. nodes you are trying to power control), it effectively
tricks the remote BMCs into not doing an arp.  Presumably b/c the BMC
always caches the gateway IP/MAC.

Thanks for the update Kevin.  Its a good trick that I'll have to keep in
the back of my mind.

Al