Re: [Freeipmi-users] freeipmi issue on Sun X4200

From: Shuichi Ihara
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] freeipmi issue on Sun X4200
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:03:36 +0900

Hi Al,

> After you set the boot-device w/ -L, does it show up correctly with -G
> (--get-boot-flags)? Could you run the ipmi-chassis command with --debug.
> We can see if the packet dump are looking fine.

I attached dump file(ipmi-chassis-debug.out) when run ipmi-chassis with "-L
--debug" option.

> I personally haven't tested this b/c I don't have a machine that
> supports IPMI boot configuration.  Are you sure the Sun machine supports
> IPMI based boot configuration?

Yes, it's implemented and work this feature via ipmitool.
However, I found strange point when I ran ipmi-cahssis after the ipmitool
execution.
Please see below.

# ipmi-chassis -h 10.14.16.23  -p changeme -u root  -W "endianseq" -L
--boot-device=PXE
# ipmi-chassis -h 10.14.16.23  -p changeme -u root  -W "endianseq"
--get-boot-flags
BIOS boot type                : PC compatible boot
Lock out reset buttons        : Disabled
Screen blank                  : Disabled
Boot device selector          : Force PXE
Lock keyboard                 : Disabled
Clear CMOS                    : Disabled
Console redirection control   : System default
Lock out sleep button         : Disabled
User password bypass          : Disabled
Lock out reset button         : Disabled
Force progress event traps    : Disabled
Firmware BIOS verbosity level : Default
Lock out via power button     : Disabled

it looks "boot device selector" is set to PXE, but this is different after the
run ipmitool to
set to PXE. In this case, the boot device selector is blank below. I also
attached dump file
with "--debug" option in this case.

# ipmitool -H 10.14.16.23  -P changeme -U root chassis bootdev pxe
# ipmi-chassis -h 10.14.16.23  -p changeme -u root  -W "endianseq"
--get-boot-flags
BIOS boot type                : PC compatible boot
Lock out reset buttons        : Disabled
Screen blank                  : Disabled
Boot device selector          :
Lock keyboard                 : Disabled
Clear CMOS                    : Disabled
Console redirection control   : System default
Lock out sleep button         : Disabled
User password bypass          : Disabled
Lock out reset button         : Disabled
Force progress event traps    : Disabled
Firmware BIOS verbosity level : Default
Lock out via power button     : Disabled

>> 2. can't get MAC address from the FRU information
>> # ipmi-fru -v -h 192.168.10.3 -u root -p changeme -W "endianseq"
>> -snip-
>> FRU Inventory Device ID: 0x0E
>>    FRU Get FRU Inventory Area Failure: bad completion code: request
>> data/parameter invalid
>>
>> FRU Inventory Device ID: 0x0F
>>    FRU Get FRU Inventory Area Failure: bad completion code: request
>> data/parameter invalid
>>
>> FRU Inventory Device ID: 0x10
>>
>>    FRU Product Manufacturer Name: INTEL
>>    FRU Product Product Name: DUAL
>> ??K?/?2??/uct Version Type: ?4p?g(?4P?h)?%
>
> Just to make sure, are you using the newest FreeIPMI?  0.6.1?  Awhiles
> ago I did fix a corner case in the six-bit-ascii output.  This could be
> related to it.

Yes, I'm using 0.6.1 which is latest version.

>>          ?
>>    FRU Unknown BCD Character: 0xC7
>>    FRU Product Info: Remaining Area Cannot Be Parsed
>
> It's hard to say based on this.  It's possible there are some OEM
> specific stuff in this FRU output which is why I cannot decode it.
> Could you send the --debug output?

I did and attached it(filename is ipmi-fru-debug.out)
And I also attached ipmitool-fru.out which is dump information with "ipmitool
fru".

> Thanks,
> Al

Thanks for your helps.