Re: [Freeipmi-users] Serial over Lan v1.5?

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Serial over Lan v1.5?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:23:00 -0400

Hey Jarrad,

First, I'd recommend upgrading to FreeIPMI 0.6.9.  There's been a lot of
fixes since then for a variety of things.

> I'm also using CentOs 5.2 and getting an error when trying to use
> ipmi-sensors. The error is "SDR Cache creation failed: cache does
> not exist" but the folder ~/.freeipmi/sdr-cache does exist...
> although empty.

As for your specific error, I'm not 100% off the top of my head.  If you
could run with --debug, it could get us a clue.  There should be data
within the directory ~/.freeipmi/sdr-cache/ after the first execution of
ipmi-sensors.  The filename should be in the format
sdr-cache-<hostyouareon>.<hostyouarereadingfrom>.

If a file isn't being created, it's probably an error reading the SDR
cache from the remote system (which I can get an idea on the error w/
--debug output).  Or possibly an error on the creation of the
directory/reading from the directory.  Are all the permissions for the
directories fine?  It's possible I have a corner case somewhere in that
code that made incorrect assumptions on creation bitmasks.

> The servers only support ipmi 1.5 and I'm having
> trouble working out how/if freeipmi supports SoL for v1.5.
> Ipmiconsole only seems to support v2.0.

I'm afraid you're a bit out of luck on this part for FreeIPMI.  The IPMI
1.5 standard actually does not include SOL.  Several vendors implemented
their own protocol for SOL into IPMI 1.5.  So you pretty much have to
use the vendor software to use SOL w/ IPMI 1.5 b/c the protocol isn't
known.

The project 'ipmitool' did reverse engineer a few IPMI 1.5 SOL
implementations.  I have no idea how well they reverse engineered it,
but you may want to give it a shot (assuming you're lucky enough to have
a motherboard that has been reverse engineered already).

Hope that helps,
Al