Re: [Freeipmi-users] Mixed assertion/deassertion problems on Sun X4150

From: Rob O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Mixed assertion/deassertion problems on Sun X4150
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 21:43:44 +0100

Many thanks for your help! I was checking out sensor configs and editing and getting nowhere, and really thinking I must be missing something obvious - at least I'm not going totally mad! This particular case with the X4150 might be slightly unusual in the service processor was upgraded from an ELOM to an ILOM - and I'm not quite sure what power supply sensors were previously available before the update or whether the ELOM->ILOM update introduced some kind of edge case where it ended up with 2 sets of sensors with conflicting assertion. I've also got a bunch of X4100s which just have these in the Power Supply group (a subset of those found on the X4150s):

29 | PS0/VINOK | Power Supply | Warning | N/A | 'State Asserted'
30 | PS0/PWROK | Power Supply | Warning | N/A | 'State Asserted'
43 | PS1/VINOK | Power Supply | Warning | N/A | 'State Asserted'
44 | PS1/PWROK | Power Supply | Warning | N/A | 'State Asserted'

and this was my original problem - they throw a Warning for a 'State Asserted'. I'd hacked it and swapped the assertion in the sensor config file, and copied the new sensor config around and then realised the X4150s had the additional sensors which didn't quite fit. So I suppose my real problem is with the 4 sensors above, and ideally I'd love to fix the status on them.

Rob.

Al Chu wrote:
Hi Rob,

Argh!  I was afraid some vendor would do something like this eventually.
Having the same "style" sensors report states/events in non-consistent
manners.  I will have to think of a way to deal with this in the future.
As for your question ...

I've been trying to figure if I can get ipmimonitoring to simply not report some sensors (e.g the PS*/*_FAULT) ones above - but can't figure how to do this. Is it possible?

There is a --groups and --sensors option for ipmimonitoring where you
can specifically list which sensors/groups you want to see.  You can
configure the default list of groups into the freeipmi.conf file to make
it default to a certain output if that makes things easier for you [1].

Unfortunately, these are "show me this stuff" options, not "exclude this
stuff" options.  So you'll have to list all the groups/sensors you want.

Longer term (it's now on my TODO), it might be good if I create a
"--exclude-groups" and "--exclude-sensors" options, that can eliminate
sensors to list.

Hope that answers your question.  And thanks for e-mailing about this.
Now I see a new good option I should put into ipmi-sensors and
ipmimonitoring.

Al

[1] There's a typo in the freeipmi.conf file that'll be fixed soon.  You
separate groups by spaces, not commas.