[Freeipmi-users] debugging problems with ipmi-sensors -E

From: Dave Love
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] debugging problems with ipmi-sensors -E
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:57:49 +0000

I'd be interested in suggestions to debug this as I don't have much time
to spend on it, and maybe there's something obvious to look at.  (This
is with version 0.8.1 and earlier versions.)

I've got a couple of nodes that are out of service, but my out-of-band
monitoring times out trying to access them:

  # ipmi-sensors -E -h ipmi00[7,8]
  ipmi007: ID   | Name          | Type                     | Reading    | Units
| Event
     [this output left intentionally blank]
  ipmi007: 2592 | Watchdog      | Watchdog 2               | N/A        | N/A
| N/A
  ipmi008: ipmi-sensors: connection timeout

This is despite ipmidetect knowing about the node (ipmi008) that timed
out (where it's 8 and 9 that are missing, and 59 has a network issue):

  # ipmidetect
  detected:   104: ipmi[000-007,010-058,060-104],ipmilv3,ipmilv3fn
  undetected:   3: ipmi[008-009,059]

I now wonder if it's related to what looks like a bug which I only just
noticed while concocting an example to send:

  # ipmi-sensors -E -h ipmi008
  hostlist_ranged_string: truncation