RE: [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI on OpenSolaris

From: Lance Beazley
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI on OpenSolaris
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:31:56 -0700

Hi Al,

Thank you for the reply and yes now that I look a bit closer the output I was
looking at from ipmi_locate were the "default" values for KCS. The actual
attempt to find the KCS was the first line, which failed, and had already
scrolled off screen when I was looking. Thank you for catching that as it
brings my world back into balance.

So in general, unless others chime in, it looks like anyone using FreeIPMI with
OpenSolaris has been grabbing an EED binary per the OS defect posted on OS.org
and since the EED has only just recently ended no one has actually dealt with a
more permanent fix.

I know that we have several utilities in our OpenSolaris environment that are
currently doing memory mapped I/O successfully but they use some arcane OS
calls to get proper access and map the memory into the utility's space.

I guess as a first step I will put a small utility together that uses those
commands and attempts to write to the BMC addresses and see if that faults.

Lance