Re: [Freeipmi-users] SUNBMC failure

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] SUNBMC failure
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 16:13:11 +0100

Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey Dave,
>
> If I had to guess, the driver may have not been compiled properly.
> Did ./configure find the bmc_intf.h file properly?  When I run configure
> on Linux, I see:
>
> checking for bmc_intf.h... no
> configure: WARNING: cannot build sunbmc driver
>
> when it can't find bmc_intf.h.
>
> See README.sunbmc for info.

Oops, sorry.  I thought I had everything installed on the system from
building before, and failed to spot that README when I looked for info
-- but you're right.  Is there a good reason it's not shipped with
freeipmi, as it is with ipmitool?  The licence is BSD-ish.  Otherwise,
the README could at least reference
http://ipmitool.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/ipmitool/ipmitool/src/plugins/bmc/bmc_intf.h
which might be more stable than an OpenSolaris URL.

Anyhow, surely it shouldn't give an internal error on Solaris, in
contrast to the behaviour under GNU/Linux:
  # bmc-info -D SUNBMC
  bmc-info: device not found
I'd expect it to bail out if HAVE_BMC_INTF_H isn't true.

> If it did find the .h file correctly, perhaps strace can shed more light
> on the issue?

[Normally truss(1) on Solaris, as strace isn't readily available
packaged as far as I know.]