Re: [Freeipmi-users] Disabled temp sensors

From: Eric Pooch
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Disabled temp sensors
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 20:42:55 -0700

Ok, I updated to 0.8.5 and attached an archive of the debug log from:
$ sudo ipmi-sensors --debug

see below:
On May 3, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Al Chu wrote:

Hey Eric,

Also, bmc-info returns IPMI version 1.0 that is probably not
supported by FreeIPMI, but ipmi-locate, returns "IPMI Version: 1.5"
for all of the devices.

Doing a quick online search, this machine appears to be pretty old. It
is possible that it does not support IPMI 1.5.  The output from
ipmi-locate you're seeing may be the defaults and not actual outputs
from the machine (this is confusing many people so I'm changing this
output for the next 0.9.1 release).  If it is only IPMI 1.0, there's
probably not much I can do to help you, since many of the IPMI commands
will just not be supported on your motherboard.

Ok.  I understand
First, all my sensor values come back as [NA] even though most work
properly under ipmitool.

I assume you're using FreeIPMI 0.7.X b/c the newest one (0.8.X line)
does not have "[NA]" output.  There have certainly been fixes since
then, so you may wish to upgrade.  My initial guess was bridging, but
you seem to have tried that.

I've noticed on some motherboards that there are issues b/c I find
errors/problems in other parts of IPMI that ipmitool doesn't, thus I
output errors and they don't.  We need to dig into the core of the
errors on your board to figure out what they/I are doing
wrong/differently.  Can you provide --debug output?

So, I think maybe there something that is  disabling the Temp sensor
at another level.  I noticed on the HP lightsout user guide that they
have a setting "o PEF Control—Enables or disables the sensor. "

Based on some of the error messages you posted from ipmitool (BTW, in
the future could you indicate what tools the error messages came from, I
thought you were indicating FreeIPMI errors and couldn't find them at
first),
Sorry, I thought I was listing FreeIPMI errors, but I guess I posted errors from the wrong log.
my guess is bridging is not supported on your motherboard and/or
there is a firmware issue w/ bridging, so the temp sensors can't be
reached.
I would agree, except that the standard IMPI raw "get sensor reading" command works fine. It is almost like ipmi-sensors and ipmitool are finding something they don't like in the sdr and not trying to read the sensor at all.

$ sudo ipmi-raw 0 04 2d 0A
rcvd: 2D 00 23 C0 00 00

0x23 = 35 degrees celsius, which seems right for my processor temp. As I mentioned before, it varies proportionally with server load, seems like the value I need, and is the correct command as far as I can tell from the IPMI v 1.5 specs

It's hard to say.  If you can provide me --debug output from
ipmi-sensors, I can maybe analyze it deeper.

$ sudo ipmi-sensors --debug
see attachment

$ sudo ipmi-sensors --bridge
ipmi_sensor_read: internal IPMI error

Does any HP specific software work for you for all these sensors?  If
their software does, and ipmitool/FreeIPMI does not, it indicates there
is something kooky on your motherboard.

I don't know, I don't have access to Windows. If it won't work with FreeIPMI, I understand that my motherboard is old, but it just seems strange that I can get the sensor reading using ipmi-raw, but not ipmi-sensors.

Thanks a lot for your help.
--Eric

Al