[Freeipmi-users] rmcpping and simulated pong replies

From: Thomas Favre-Bulle
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] rmcpping and simulated pong replies
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:59:22 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to simulate a BMC and I'm currently working on reproducing its networking behaviour (i.e. reply to RMCP-ASF ping, IPMI auth challenge, etc.). According to ASF v2.0 specs (DSP0136), a pong reply should have the same message tag as the ping message, a sequence number of 0xff and message type of 0x40. It also carries a data payload (which is pretty simple for a standard message and should be equal to this -> 00:00:11:be:00:00:00:00:81:00:00:00:00:00:00:00h). I'm using rmcpping to run tests, but so far I'm unable to get a working pong reply. Analyzing packets with wireshark as shown no incorrect data (both in ping and pong messages). In the file ping-tool-common.c at line 522 (freeipmi v0.8.6), only the message sequence number equality is tested.

My question is rather simple : what is exactly tested by rmcpping to identify a correct pong reply ?

I've been searching through the mailing list's archives but I couldn't find a similar problem (I've done some googling as well).

Thanks,

--
Thomas Favre-Bulle