[Freeipmi-users] ipmiping adversely affecting ipmitool

From: Dick.Detweiler
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiping adversely affecting ipmitool
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:13:48 +0000

Hello all,

I am working on a multi-threaded app that searches a range of a IP addresses
for IPMI devices and gathers info about any IPMI devices it finds.  A thread is
spun for each IP address to be searched.  I am using ipmiping from the freeipmi
suite to find them and ipmitool to get the info.  I have isolated an
interesting problem.  If a thread for an IP address that will fail the ipmiping
is included in the range, than other threads will from time to time fail
getting information via ipmitool.  The symptom is that the ipmitool request
will return an OK status but there will be no data returned.

You could test this by setting up an easy program that spins threads that
perform ipmiping, then if 1.5 or 2.0 are returned, send an fru print command
using ipmitool, then echo or save the output to a file.

I wonder if ipmiping is leaving the open-ipmi driver in a weird state so that
when ipmitool runs its confused at times.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,

Dick Detweiler |Senior Software Engineer, MSD | Avocent | USA
Emerson Network Power | 4991 Corporate Drive | Huntsville, AL 35805-6201
T 256.261.6550 | F 256.430.4027
www.avocent.com<http://www.avocent.com>
www.emersonnetworkpower.com