[Freeipmi-users] Re: FreeIPMI 1.0.1 Released

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Re: FreeIPMI 1.0.1 Released
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:17:54 -0800

Hey John,

I'll add something into the docs to give users hints on how to tell if
their system has IPMI.  Most users know from their product
documentation.

As for having the tools say if IPMI is supported on your system or not,
it's unfortunately very difficult/impossible.  The IPMI spec does not
provide enough/define enough to make it possible.  For example, I have
several motherboards that do not give you *any* information that IPMI is
available (discounting product manuals).  Once FreeIPMI starts poking at
default locations, it just happens to work.  To contrast, I have seen
some motherboards provide invalid information saying that IPMI is not
supported, yet if the tools ignore this and try to communicate via IPMI
anyways, it'll work.

I'll see if I can add something better to handle your situation, but
it's difficult to get something that can make FreeIPMI best for all
situations.

As for whether your motherboard supports IPMI, the below suggests its
not supported since it cannot find any IPMI support info in various
BIOS/SMBIOS/PCI locations [1].

Thanks,

Al

[1] - BTW, the 1.0.1 release of FreeIPMI does not output the default
values by default (which I think confused people).  I assume you
installed FreeIPMI out of your distro, which may have had an older
version.