Re: [Freeipmi-users] error while loading shared libraries: libfreeipmi.s

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] error while loading shared libraries: libfreeipmi.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:00:31 -0800

Hi Lars, Werner,

> Shouldn´t ldconfig be ran automatically by "make install"?

I asked around and looked around on this subject, and it appears most
source packages don't do this.  The arguments appear to be:

A) ldconfig is primarily for linux, not for all Unixes or OSes.  So it's
not actually portable.  We could do a check for it and only do it if it
exists but ...

B) ldconfig is typically something run as root or a privileged user.  If
a user wants to install freeipmi in their homedir, ldconfig wouldn't
work.

C) ldconfig (or OS equivalent) is usually handled by the OS package
system, such as rpm or deb.

I know it would make things easier for Linux users if I added an
ldconfig, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do for all
users.

I've updated the README.build file with some more information that will
hopefully make things easier for future users.

Al