Re: [Freeipmi-users] cannot ping bmc

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] cannot ping bmc
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:59:29 -0800

Hi Harri,

That's strange that only this one particular motherboard doesn't
ipmiping.  Here's some thoughts:

1) Some motherboards require a hard-reset (power button,
not /sbin/shutdown) to make configurations "take".  Perhaps that's
required for this particular motherboard?  If you're not fond of
power-resetting, rebooting just the bmc could work (bmc-device
--cold-reset).

2) IPMI over LAN support must also be enabled, you may also want to
verify this in the Lan_Channel section of the bmc-config config.

3) I personally have never configured a gateway into an IPMI system, so
I'm unsure if the config below would affect anything.  Perhaps the MAC
address for the gateway needs to be configured too?  What if you zero
out the IP address and re-commit?

4) Is arp setup correctly?  I'm not sure if your BMC can arp, but if it
can't, perhaps you need to cache the remote MAC address in your local
arp cache?

Hopefully that's enough ideas that one of them is the solution :P

Al