Re: [Freeipmi-users] HP ProLiant ML310 G5 does not support fan reading?

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] HP ProLiant ML310 G5 does not support fan reading?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 10:03:17 -0700

Hi Frantisek,

Good timing, there should be a fix for you in 1.0.4 assuming it is the
same issue that was seen on another HP motherboard.  The workaround can
be executed using the

-W "discretereading"

on the command line, or setting the flag permantently in freeipmi.conf.
If it works for you, PLMK so I can your motherboard to FreeIPMI's
documentation.  (As a side note, on some HP motherboards, they tend to
output percentage of fan max RPM, rather than the actual RPM.)

The short story on the issue, the SDR records on the HP motherboard are
messed up and list "conflicting" information.  Whether intentional or a
mistake, I don't know (perhaps they were trying to be clever and
compacting information in a way they shouldn't have?).

There's an HP fellow on this mailing list that is trying to get it
sorted out in their firmware.

Al