Re: [Freeipmi-users] Intel S3420GP invalid integrity check value

From: David Liontooth
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Intel S3420GP invalid integrity check value
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 22:33:50 +0200

Hi Al,

Really appreciate the help; this subsystem is complicated!

On 05/19/2011 06:58 PM, Albert Chu wrote:

My main issue right now is that only one out of my seven Intel servers
(five of them S3420GP) respond to impiping. In-band works fine on all of
them, and I've used bmc-config to duplicate the configuration of the one
working machine on the other S3420GP boxen, changing only IP and MAC
addresses. I have a mix of public and private networks and udev
reassignments of NICs, but the machine that works is no different in
this respect from the others. Can I do something like nmap to see if the
port is open?
Using nmap should work to see if the port is open (or more notably, if
you can nmap the IP you configure for IPMI.
Very cool -- that works, though it reports ports 22 and 5120 rather than the 623 I thought IPMI uses. As expected, it does not work from localhost. It also confirms that six of my seven servers haven't opened the ipmi port -- that's a dismal success rate.

What is the minimal configuration needed for ipmiping to get a response?
What could be causing the block? I just lucked out to have at least
one working system, so at least I get to see how things should be
behaving.
It should simply be enabling IPMI (via Lan_Channel), configuring a
proper IP, MAC, subnet, gateway, etc.
I take it users don't need to be configured for ipmiping or nmap to work -- this is enough:

Lan Param(3) IP address: 192 168 0 56
Lan Param(4) IP addr src: 01 : Static
Lan Param(5) MAC addr: 00 15 17 ad d7 22
Lan Param(6) Subnet mask: 255 255 255 0
Lan Param(7) IPv4 header: 1e 00 00
Lan Param(10) BMC grat ARP: 03 : Grat-ARP enabled, ARP-resp enabled
Lan Param(11) grat ARP interval: 09 : 4.5 sec
Lan Param(12) Def gateway IP: 192 168 0 178
Lan Param(13) Def gateway MAC: 00 e0 81 5f e9 2f

Lan Param(3) IP address: 192 168 0 57
Lan Param(4) IP addr src: 01 : Static
Lan Param(5) MAC addr: 00 15 17 ad d6 f4
Lan Param(6) Subnet mask: 255 255 255 0
Lan Param(7) IPv4 header: 1e 00 00
Lan Param(10) BMC grat ARP: 03 : Grat-ARP enabled, ARP-resp enabled
Lan Param(11) grat ARP interval: 09 : 4.5 sec
Lan Param(12) Def gateway IP: 192 168 0 178
Lan Param(13) Def gateway MAC: 00 e0 81 5f e9 2e

It looks like the BMC has accepted these values, but I still cannot ipmiping it (first works, second not).
Any other settings needed for ipmiping access?
  If you're configuring an
identical IP address as the host machine, it may be worth configuring a
different one just to try.

If I use the same IP address for IPMI as for the host machine, I'm able to ipmiping it -- yay!! But -- I'm no longer able to ssh into it normally, nmap shows IPMI having taken it over -- so I had to reset it.
Is there a way around this? Could I reuse the IP addresses for IPMI?

I've witnessed some motherboards not "take" a configuration until you
hard-reset the node.  Hard-reset meaning hitting the power button
physically.  Or you can cold-reset the BMC by running

bmc-device --cold-reset

to get the same affect. (I believe this is the equivalent of mc reset
cold below)

It's also possible there could be something in your BIOS affecting
things.  I've seen some motherboards have BIOS options for putting the
ethernet card into certain modes which allow/not-allow IPMI.
Thanks. I'll try the bmc-device reset -- I don't have physical access at the moment.

The option of using the same IP address intrigues me, since I was able to ping then.

Dave

How can I reset and clear the configuration? I used "ipmitool mc reset
cold" and it seemed to wipe the configuration (but not reboot the
machine), but after a reboot it was back. As I said, I'm completely
green to this and haven't found anyone on my campus willing and able to
tell me what's going on.
Some motherboards have factory reset capabilities, but they are
manufacturer/OEM specific.  I haven't come across one for Intel
motherboards yet, so there aren't any in ipmi-oem yet.

Can you set this up with a daemon and e-mail warnings?
You mean like when sensors are out of whack?  Or when a SEL entry
reports an issue?
This sort of thing -- customized criteria for automatic remote
monitoring. I'm not there yet though, as I can't even ping.
FreeIPMI doesn't have something that high level/specific at the moment
(I've been thinking of writing one, but haven't had the time to).
FreeIPMI currently has libraries/tools that are more for others to build
upon for that feature.

Al

Cheers,
Dave