[Freeipmi-users] RAC Status from DRAC5 on Dell Poweredge 1950

From: Alexander Fisher
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] RAC Status from DRAC5 on Dell Poweredge 1950
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:23:16 +0100

Hi All

Hope you can help.  I'm trying to use the check_ipmi_sensor nagios
plugin I read about in 'Admin' magazine.
It uses the freeipmi ipmimonitoring tool.  I've so far tried to
monitor two servers fitted with DRAC5 management cards, but one of the
sensor readings is causing the plugin to exit with NAGIOS_CRITICAL.

Here is the complete debug output from ipmimonitoring:
Record ID: 51
Record Type: Compact Sensor Record (2h)
ID String: RAC Status
Sensor Type: Module/Board (15h)
Sensor Number: 112
IPMB Slave Address: 10h
Sensor Owner ID: 20h
Sensor Owner LUN: 0h
Channel Number: 0h
Entity ID: system board (7)
Entity Instance: 1
Entity Instance Type: Physical Entity
Event/Reading Type Code: 6Fh
Sensor Direction: Unspecified
Assertion Event Enabled: 'NONE'
Deassertion Event Enabled: 'NONE'
Share Count: 1
ID String Instance Modifier Type: Numeric
ID String Instance Modifier Offset: 0
Entity Instance Sharing: Same for all records
Sensor State: N/A
Sensor Event: 'Unrecognized Event = 0001h'
Sensor Event: 'Unrecognized Event = 0002h'
Sensor Event: 'Unrecognized Event = 0004h'

Does anybody know what the unrecognized events might mean?  I think I
can use the -x option in check_ipmi_sensor to hide the sensor, but i'm
still interested in knowing what the sensor output means.

Many thanks,
Alex