[Freeipmi-users] ipmipower fails if redirecting stdin to /dev/null

From: Peter Kruse
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower fails if redirecting stdin to /dev/null
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:13:58 +0200

Hello,

I'm using ipmipower to suspend and resume compute nodes in our clusters.
But it seems that the batch scheduler calls the command with
stdin redirected to /dev/null, which makes ipmipower exit
with a status of 1, and not suspending the node, instead
it logs a message:

ipmipower[28320]: Cbuf_write_from_fd(0): Bad file descriptor

I'm wondering if it is really is necessary for ipmipower
to read from stdin.
As a workaround I call ipmipower in a screen(1) session.
You can reproduce this behaviour from the command line
if you run for example:

ipmipower  -h [address] -u [user] -p [pass] -n < /dev/null

I tested it under ubuntu/lucid and debian/squeeze
both with the shipped version 0.7.15 but
also with the latest version 1.0.6.

Regards,

  Peter

ps: I am not subscribed to this list, it would be
    kind if you could CC me on replies.