[Freeipmi-users] ipmi-sensors works, ipmimonitoring does not: "privilege

From: Phillip Frost
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi-sensors works, ipmimonitoring does not: "privilege level cannot be obtained for this user"
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:04:18 -0500

I'm trying to monitor an Apple Xserve. I found the incantation to get
ipmi-sensors to work:

$ ipmi-sensors -h xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -l OPERATOR -W intel20 -D LAN_2_0

I get a long list of sensor data. Groovy. But when I try the same thing with
ipmimonitoring I get an error:

$ ipmimonitoring -h xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -l OPERATOR -W intel20 -D LAN_2_0
ipmi_monitoring_sensor_readings_by_record_id: privilege level cannot be
obtained for this user

I'm running the tools from debian stable. ipmimonitoring -V tells me
"ipmimonitoring - 0.7.17.beta2". Attached output from above commands with
--debug.

As I understand it, this is the host I'm monitoring telling me that I can't get
the level OPERATOR for the credentials I have specified. Yet, I just did it,
with ipmi-sensors. Is -l being ignored? Is my understanding incorrect? What's
wrong?