Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi-sensors works, ipmimonitoring does not: "privi

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi-sensors works, ipmimonitoring does not: "privilege level cannot be obtained for this user"
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:55:55 -0800

Hi Phillip,

I don't see any debug output, did you forget the attachment?  It's
possible my servers removed it if you sent it with a .zip attachment.
Just send as plain text.

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 08:04 -0800, Phillip Frost wrote:
> I'm trying to monitor an Apple Xserve. I found the incantation to get
> ipmi-sensors to work:
>
> $ ipmi-sensors -h xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -l OPERATOR -W intel20 -D
> LAN_2_0
>
> I get a long list of sensor data. Groovy. But when I try the same
> thing with ipmimonitoring I get an error:
>
> $ ipmimonitoring -h xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -l OPERATOR -W intel20 -D
> LAN_2_0
> ipmi_monitoring_sensor_readings_by_record_id: privilege level cannot
> be obtained for this user
>
> I'm running the tools from debian stable. ipmimonitoring -V tells me
> "ipmimonitoring - 0.7.17.beta2". Attached output from above commands
> with --debug.
>
> As I understand it, this is the host I'm monitoring telling me that I
> can't get the level OPERATOR for the credentials I have specified.

Correct.

>  Yet, I just did it, with ipmi-sensors. Is -l being ignored?  Is my
> understanding incorrect? What's wrong?

Most likely there was an issue in the libipmimonitoring code path.  The
"intel20" workaround is particularly "sensitive".

This is a pretty ancient version of FreeIPMI.  Any chance you could try
with a newer version (I just released 1.0.9) and send me the --debug
output?