Re: [Freeipmi-users] Dell ipmi-oem chassis slot availability?

From: Ryan Cox
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Dell ipmi-oem chassis slot availability?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:29:32 -0700

Chris,

I'm not sure how to do it with any ipmi-based commands, but "dmidecode -s baseboard-serial-number" should return that information from the OS. On my Dell systems, it returns two rows of information. The first contains the system's service tag, the board's serial number (ipmi-fru's first entry), and the slot number separated by period characters. The second line is the chassis' serial number and the slot number, similarly separated. We don't have asset tags set, so those may show up in there to if you use them. Information can be pulled from HP systems in a similar fashion with "dmidecode -t 204 |grep 'Server Bay'" or just "dmidecode |grep 'Server Bay'"

This information is also available remotely via SNMP to the iDRAC: "snmpget -t 1 -r 1 -c public -v2c -O qve $yourhost-idrac DELL-RAC-MIB::drsProductSystemSlot.0". You'll have to download the MIBs from support.dell.com.

By the way, we also do inventory tracking in a similar fashion to what you're moving towards. It works quite nicely when everything is set up.

I've looked before at doing this via IPMI but also came up short.

Ryan