Re: [Freeipmi-users] ACER FS1100A motherboard, nothing in /dev, ipmi_si

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ACER FS1100A motherboard, nothing in /dev, ipmi_si fails to load.
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:00:28 -0800

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 14:23 -0800, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Al Chu wrote:
>
> > Actually, one more side thought.  When you run ipmi-locate, does it find
> > any IPMI devices on your system?
>
> mail5:~# >>> ipmi-locate
> Probing KCS device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
> Probing SMIC device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
> Probing BT device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
> Probing SSIF device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
> Probing KCS device using SMBIOS... FAILED
> Probing SMIC device using SMBIOS... FAILED
> Probing BT device using SMBIOS... FAILED
> Probing SSIF device using SMBIOS... FAILED
> Probing KCS device using ACPI... FAILED
> Probing SMIC device using ACPI... FAILED
> Probing BT device using ACPI... FAILED
> Probing SSIF device using ACPI... FAILED
> Probing KCS device using PCI... FAILED
> Probing SMIC device using PCI... FAILED
> Probing BT device using PCI... FAILED
> Probing SSIF device using PCI... FAILED
>
> KCS device default values:
> IPMI Version: 1.5
> IPMI locate driver: DEFAULT
> IPMI interface: KCS
> BMC driver device:
> BMC I/O base address: 0xCA2
> Register spacing: 1
>
> SMIC device default values:
> IPMI Version: 1.5
> IPMI locate driver: DEFAULT
> IPMI interface: SMIC
> BMC driver device:
> BMC I/O base address: 0xCA9
> Register spacing: 1
>
> BT device default values:
> SSIF device default values:
> IPMI Version: 1.5
> IPMI locate driver: DEFAULT
> IPMI interface: SSIF
> BMC driver device: /dev/i2c-0
> BMC SMBUS slave address: 0x42
> Register spacing: 1
>
> > I don't know the inner details of the kernel driver, but I'm wondering
> > if it cannot find a device, it doesn't know what to do.  It's possible
> > IPMI is fully supported on your system, but you can only communicate to
> > a predefined address.
>
> Any clue how to find out what that address might be?

It's usually provided by the vendor/manufacturer.

> Or what to do if it's memory-mapped?

dmidecode might provide it.  FreeIPMI defaults to use the IPMI defined
default if it is not advertised on the motherboard.  Perhaps you can try
messing around w/ the --device-address and --register-spacing options
(note that dmidecode outputs register spacing in bits, but freeipmi
takes it in bytes).  The workaround option "assumeio" might also be
necessary.  The only systems I've seen that advertise memory-mapped did
so in error.

Good luck

Al