[Freeipmi-users] Disable alerting for watchdog timer expiration

From: Ryan Cox
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Disable alerting for watchdog timer expiration
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:29:45 -0700

Hello all,

I would like to change the default behavior for our Dell servers (mostly blades) to stop alerting at all when the watchdog timer expires. Our HP ProLiant BL460c G1 servers don't alert on timer expiration. I was hoping to see if there was a difference between the configs, but the HP servers don't work with ipmi-pef-config ("Unable to get Number of Alert Policy Entries") and have very few entries in ipmi-sensors, none of which are related to the watchdog.

What I would like to happen when a watchdog timer expires:
1) The system will reboot
2) *No* SNMP trap sent by the server itself
3) *No* SNMP trap sent by the chassis (if the server is a blade)
4) *No* event inserted in the SEL
5) *No* amber lights on the server or chassis

What I have accomplished:
1) The system will reboot
2) *No* SNMP trap sent by the server itself (the following worked: "ipmi-pef-config -c -e Event_Filter_17:Enable_Filter=No")

The SEL is populated and an alert sent whether the action is to reboot the server or do nothing.

What I have tried:
I set everything in "ipmi-sensors-config -S 44_OS_Watch" to be "No":
Section 44_OS_Watch
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_All_Event_Messages No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Scanning_On_This_Sensor No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Timer_Expired No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Hard_Reset No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Power_Down No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Power_Cycle No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Timer_Expired No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Hard_Reset No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Power_Down No
    ## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Power_Cycle No
EndSection

This changes the output of ipmi-sensors for that host to:
44 | OS Watch         | Watchdog 2               | N/A        | N/A   | N/A

An unmodified host has this:
44 | OS Watch         | Watchdog 2               | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'

After the timer expires, this shows up in the SEL:
ID | Date | Time | Name | Type | Event Direction | Event 1 | Feb-01-2012 | 07:39:18 | SEL | Event Logging Disabled | Assertion Event | Log Area Reset/Cleared 2 | Feb-01-2012 | 07:39:23 | OS Watch | Watchdog 2 | Assertion Event | Timer expired, status only 3 | Feb-01-2012 | 07:39:23 | OS Watch | Watchdog 2 | Assertion Event | Timer expired, status only

If I don't disable the SNMP traps from the server for watchdog timer expiration, I get a trap for DELL-ASF-MIB::asfTrapASRTimeout. A blade chassis will always send a trap stating that the blade changed from normal to critical.

Any other ideas?  Is this something I need to ask Dell about?

Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Cox