Re: [Freeipmi-users] Unable to connect with IPMI on Supermicro X9DRFR

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Unable to connect with IPMI on Supermicro X9DRFR
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:15:51 -0700

Hi Simon,

Good timing.  A few weeks ago a user reported a similar issue on another
Supermicro motherboard.  There is an error in return packets from the
Supermicro board that leads to invalid checksums in the reply packets.
FreeIPMI discards those packets believing them to be corrupted, leading
to various problems.  I do not believe ipmitool checks checksums in
reply packets, which is why it works there.

According to the other user, some firmware updates will fix the problem
on the motherboard, but other updates don't.  I added a new
"nochecksumcheck" workaround into FreeIPMI to get around the problem
temporarily.  It's going to be in the next release of FreeIPMI.

If you'd like to try out the new release, the branch for the new release
is here:

svn co
svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/freeipmi/branches/Release-1_2_0_branch

and can be built via

./autogen.sh
./configure

On this other user's motherboard, they also had to specify the
"noauthcodecheck" workaround, so you'd have to do
"-W noauthcodecheck,nochecksumcheck" on the command line to execute both
at the same time.

PLMK if that works for you for the time being.

Al