[Freeipmi-users] Rookie ipmiconsole question

From: Tudor Holton
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Rookie ipmiconsole question
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:12:35 +1100

Hi,

I've had mixed success with the various IPMI tools, but the freeipmi-tools seem to work best with an IBM x3250 M2 I've been handed to play with. I've managed to do various things with bmc-config.

However, I'm really stuck at using the Serial-Over-Lan console.

If I do:
    ipmiconsole -h <bmc-ip>

I get:
    [SOL Established]
and it hangs as if waiting for me to do something.

I've read enough to know that this isn't an error. I presume it's a connection? Every howto I've looked at says "And your console should be connected at this point." (or words to that effect.) A couple reference the use of agetty.

However, if I do:
    agetty tty0
    or
    agetty tty1

The connection times out.

I don't know what to expect here because I've never used ipmi before. What should I be doing to get access to the SOL console? Being as it's serial I was expecting to use minicom or kermit or something like that. Should I be setting something up before making the SOL connection? I'm using Ubuntu 12.10.

Cheers,
Tudor.