[Freeipmi-users] SOL after bootup...

From: Tudor Holton
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] SOL after bootup...
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 15:32:58 +1100

Hi,

I'm trying to experiment with remote provisioning using IPMI. I have a machine with BMC and SOL working (thanks to Albert).

I was thinking of either provisioning using a CD left in the machine or using TFTP and bootp. Currently I'm using a CD just to prove it works.

However, after the system boots (and I can see the whole boot process via SOL), the screen goes blank. I've tried with the XCP boot CD and the Ubuntu server boot CD. I've checked on other machines and both of these use an ncurses interface with fallback for the installer.

Is there something I need to include in the boot CD/ISO/TFTP system that would allow the installer to output to SOL? Perhaps a kernel switch or modification?

Cheers,
Tudor.