Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole sending unsollicited break

From: Fabien Wernli
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole sending unsollicited break
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 10:25:46 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04:34AM +0100, Fabien Wernli wrote:
> We just encountered a serious problem when switching from ipmitool to
> ipmiconsole: on at least two out of several hundred hosts, multiple
> 'SysRq' breaks were sent just after the sol session establishment, resulting
> in one server reset, and one power off.

I just managed to reproduce the problem:

1. On the console, generate some output, e.g.
   while date; do usleep 500000; done
2. On the console server, loop a SIGKILL, e.g.
   while sleep 30; do pkill -9 -f 'ipmiconsole -h server12'; done

After several thousand iterations, I was able to trigger the SysRq. As
before, I get quite some garbage on screen, plenty of sysrq requests in
'/var/log/messages' (mostly HELP commands), and also "INIT: Id "S0"
respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minute".

Initially, the SIGKILL was sent by the init script we're using (killproc in
redhatish 'rc.d/functions'). I will work around this by editing the
init script, but I think it's worth mentioning here that it is
reproductible.

If someone would like to dig into this, I'd be most happy to assist.

Cheers