Re: [Freeipmi-users] Remotely change a user password without a timeout

From: Jean-Baptiste Denis
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Remotely change a user password without a timeout
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 16:43:52 +0100

Hi everybody,

first of all, thank you for all the feedback and sorry for the delay in my
answer.

On 12/16/2014 04:35 PM, Albert Chu wrote:
> I just tried this on some of my systems and it works perfectly.  I have a
> speculation that it may be specific to your machine.

Thank you for trying this out on your side.

> After setting the new password on the remote system, I bet that it has
> begun using the new password for all of it's internal hashing mechanisms,
> leading new authentication hashes and what not.  Either the remote system
> is no longer accepted new packets from FreeIPMI b/c it's sending "bad
> packets" w/ the wrong hashes, or perhaps the system is sending FreeIPMI
> "bad packets" and FreeIPMI is dropping them.  Eventually leading to the
> session timeout.

Got it.

> If it happens to be the latter case, the FreeIPMI workaround
> "noauthcodecheck" could alleve your situation.  Use that workaround at your
> own discretion, I hope it's obvious what it does.  If it's the former, I
> think it's a bug that has to be reported to the vendor.  It should still be
> using the originally information from when the session was created.

The no-auth code did the trick !

> Another possibility might be to use other authentication mechanisms, and
> see if they work.  Perhaps some of the IPMI 2.0 ones (-D lan20 and -I w/
> various cipher suites) were implemented better.

I should have tried that by myself. Using -D lan20 (and using the default cipher
suite) also work.

Thank you for your help.

Jean-Baptiste