Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi_ctx_open_outofband_2_0: bad completion code (S

From: Werner Fischer
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi_ctx_open_outofband_2_0: bad completion code (Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F, firmware 3.40)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 13:11:59 +0200

Hi Al,

after further testing the admin found the root cause: whenever he
uploads a new firmware, he does not preserve any settings. Instead, he
chooses factory defaults and sets afterwards the setting using an
configuration file of bmc-config.

Now it turned out, that with firmware 3.40 setting the
Lan_Privilege_Limit does not work with freeipmi 1.2.1 (setting it to
"User" works without an error, but querying it afterwards shows that
there is no Lan_Privilege_Limit set. Doing the same with ipmitool on the
other side works. So he uses ipmitool as a workaround for that, and then
everything is fine again and there is no "ipmi_ctx_open_outofband_2_0:
bad completion code" error any more :-)
The admin has freeipmi 1.2.1, I've just now tested it with 1.2.9
(freeipmi package of centos7). Both version do not set the
Lan_Privilege_Limit.

Now I've also downloaded freeipmi 1.5.2 - then it works :-)

So we found out the root cause, and with the current freeipmi version
there is no problem :-)

I just wanted to let you know, so that you know everything is fine
now ;-)

Best regards and thanks again for your valuable help and support,
Werner