Re: [Freeipmi-users] Active Sensors

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Active Sensors
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:19:16 -0700

Hi,

By "IPMI web server seems to know that", I would assume the vendor has a
web interface on the service process you can access.  And that web
service presumably says "sensor disabled" or something like that when
you try to see a sensor reading?

There are various error codes and settings within a sensor reading to
that IPMI can send to indicate the sensor is down/unavailable.  FreeIPMI
should be handling these and not returning a sensor reading to the user
if appropriate.

However, if FreeIPMI (and I'm assuming its a recent version) is not
outputting that the sensor is unavailable, then there is a chance the
sensor is returning a valid value successfully (b/c it's most common to
get an error code).  It's possible the vendor may be getting information
outside of IPMI to determine a sensor is unavailable.

There's always a chance I've missed something.  Can look further if
you're interested.

Thanks,

Al