Re: [Freeipmi-users] Power statistics for Supermicro A+ 1023US-TR4 serve

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Power statistics for Supermicro A+ 1023US-TR4 server
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:33:08 -0700

If I had to guess, it is a policy of the vendor and/or an oversight of
the vendor.  Most vendors purchase their IPMI firmware from a third
party, then make their modifications to it for their own release.
I've seen several motherboards that "support DCMI" (i.e. ipmi-dcmi
reports that it is supported as you saw), but internally they never
actually implemented anything related to DCMI.  My assumption is that
ipmi-dcmi showing support is lingering bits from the 3rd party
firmware.

Supermicro did support DCMI in the past
(https://serverfault.com/questions/389224/power-usage-via-ipmi-or-bios-or/389355#389355).

Sorry that I don't have better info.  If you bug Supermicro, maybe
they can eventually give you what you want :P

Al