Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower : How long does it take for a power off?

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmipower : How long does it take for a power off?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 09:10:45 -0700

Hi Steven,

> My question is that it takes about 5 seconds to complete the command.
> Maybe this is normal?

It's within range of normal.  The IPMI standard says that a power off
informs the motherboard you would like to power off, but the
motherboard is allowed to power off itself sometime in the future.
This "in the future" time is not controllable to you.

Thus the --wait-until-off option is useful to return once the off is
complete.

Al