[Freeipmi-users] Removing legacy / deprecated options / output in FreeIP

From: Al Chu11
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Removing legacy / deprecated options / output in FreeIPMI tools
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 08:49:21 -0700

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get input from everyone about some changes I have in store for an eventual FreeIPMI 1.7.X release.

In 2019 the IPMI specification was no longer being updated.  With IPMI sort of now "finalized", I figure the 1.7.X might be the last "minor number increment" of FreeIPMI.  With that knowledge I wanted to clean up the code and remove some legacy / deprecated stuff.

For most users, you probably don't even know these outputs / command line options exist.  For example, in some tools you can specify `--flush-cache` or `-f`, with the `-f` short option being hidden / undocumented.  It's ony b/c it was supported in some tools a long time ago but not others.  Similar for some legacy config file option names and even default config file locations.

Everything that I've removed is from pre-FreeIPMI 1.4.1, i.e. from FreeIPMI 1.3.4 and earlier.  FreeIPMI 1.4.1 was released in March 2014, so this only concerns folks that might have written scripts in 2013 or earlier.

A detailed list of potential changes here: https://github.com/chu11/freeipmi-mirror/blob/master/NEWS

Would anyone have any gross objection to these removals?

Livermore Computing