freesci-develop

Re: [freesci-develop] Glutton OS X sound support & wrapper for FreeSCI,

From: Matthew Herberg
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Glutton OS X sound support & wrapper for FreeSCI, was: Concerning C416: No sound on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:53:00 -0400

On Sep 28, 2003, at 5:03 AM, Matt wrote:

I like SDL, was there any other similar multi-platform graphic module considered for Glutton or is SDL kinda seen as a standard? It would be nice to get SDL working again for Glutton if its still being considered, I doubt Glutton will give any output right now for OS X.

Just a month or two ago I got glutton running on OS X, sans sound (if I remember correctly it wasn't too difficult). Not sure how it is now.

The funny thing is that this project has support for many libraries, such as directfb and libggi. Personally I don't see the purpose of having any other library than SDL, as it is by far the most mature and supported cross platform multimedia library I know of. I don't know much about directfb, but I think using OpenGL through SDL would be a more portable option for hardware accelerated graphics.

Well, there are several different flavors if you want to support audio for OS X. You could either go for using Carbon (as SDL does right now), use Cocoa (NSSound) or use HAL directly (which should resemble a lot like Carbon calls). If SDL sound support is being considered it might be the most useful to use SDL anyway for sound and start converting the sound support in SDL to Cocoa or HAL.

Well, I'd personally prefer SDL. If there isn't any driver when I start my major work, I'll write it.

Cocoa is your friend (for sure in winter;), check out prepareForDragOperation, performDragOperation and concludeDragOperation, I bet the dragging is easier with Cocoa, it just takes some time to get used to its standard. Carbon tows a lot of OS 9 with it which you do not care for in this case, also just having finished some work with task control under Cocoa, its very easy as Cocoa was written with calling unix utilities in mind.

Great, thanks. No need to convert me... I'm a Cocoa guy and know very little about Carbon. I just wasn't sure of the availability of all event handlers in Cocoa. Thanks for the pointers. I also love NSTask and have used it extensively in other projects!

And yes, also I had such a FreeSCI wrapper in mind, however since you are already preparing for it in the winter you should go ahead with it. I had a very basic and small FreeSCI wrapper in an user friendly disk image in mind to help promoting FreeSCI / SDL in the OS X community. Nothing fancy just basic functionality as I am not sure if there are many Sierra enthusiast on the OS X platform. I would still like to see such a thing right now for FreeSCI 0.3.4, making something complex might not be needed if there is not much request for it.
Based on the response you could expand or keep it small.
Slowly starting to understand the Mac community preferably there should be a demo with the wrapper, else you will just a thousand questions back. Let me know if you want to go for something nice for Glutton, I (or us together) could probably wrap something up fast for FreeSCI.

Seriously, I'm swamped with work so if you want to release a simple version please don't let me hold you back. The demo idea is fantastic (and they're small). When I have free time this winter we could definitely work together on a nice glutton build (assuming glutton is far enough around then). I personally was thinking of creating a real preferences file in ~/Library/Preferences, creating a good icon, adding open dialogs, and maybe adding a preference windows. Just recently it's become easy to make SDL applications even more OS X like, so there may be some more possibilities.

Since you are talking about multiple fixes that you were submitting, do you maybe have a fix for that darn cursor bug that OS X seems to have? My cursor is fragmented, so basically a line, then an empty (see through) line, then a line again, after which a see through line, and so on (kind of like the video in Wing Commander 3 and 4).

Actually I haven't tried those games and I didn't notice a cursor problem in the few King's Quest games I tried. I just haven't much time in freesci lately so I have no clue how to fix it.

Also, would the performance for the adlibemu be better with (real) sound cards instead if the basic Apple soundcards? The only card I find that has OS X support is the Revolution 7.1 but it does not have midi channels. I was hoping to get real midi through my soundblaster live but it seems Creative dropped OS X support. Searching over the internet it looks like the soundblaster cards are the only sound cards left with midi channel support.

I actually have no clue about midi in OS X. I'm not even sure how CoreMidi and CoreAudio support for midi works. Best of luck (if I wasn't late for a meeting now,,, yes on a Sunday!... I'd be able to look up some info and try to help you). Sorry!

-Matt