Re: [Devel] font driver for Windows

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] font driver for Windows
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:39:10 +0100

Hi,

yap a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know how to write a "font driver"
> for FreeType under Windows, so that all Windows AP
> will enjoy the quality of FreeType ?
>
> according to "Windows graphics programming: Win32 GDI and DirectDraw"  by
> Yuan Feng from HP,
>  2000/XP have a mechnisim for 3rd party vendor to create a Font Driver,
> which could take care of rasterizing process,

This mechanism doesn't seem to be documented in the MSDN. Do you have
more information on this, or is this feature only available under NDAs
from Microsoft ??

>  somehow like ATM32 (adobe type manager) does,
> then FreeType Font Driver will handle the *.ft files,
> so if user want to have FreeType version of Arial.ttf,
> simply rename or copy arial.ttf to arial.ft,  doesn't it sound great?

Sounds like FreeType/2, which replaced the TrueType font driver
in OS/2 some years ago. I believe it's still better than the native
one distributed with the OS, even after several fixpacks :-)

While it'd be nice to have, I don't think it's worth too much
trouble or that Microsoft would allow such a thing..

Regards,

- David Turner