Re: [ft-devel] About customization of freetype for BDF

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] About customization of freetype for BDF
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:16:52 +0200

Hi Werner,

     src/raster/raster.c     -- monochrome rasterizer

This one is not needed for BDF, which isn't a vector format.

 optional:
     src/cache/ftcache.c     -- cache sub-system (in beta)
     src/gzip/ftgzip.c       -- support for compressed fonts (.gz)
     src/lzw/ftlzw.c         -- support for compressed fonts (.Z)

By the way, the BDF driver starts by allocating a 64 Kb buffer before reading a single byte from the font file, and the LZW reader allocates up-front a 400Kb buffer for decompression purposes (yes, you've read that correctly !!). Some day, I'm going
to rewrite this crap...

Dont' know if this is going to fly for embedded systems :-)

For small footprint environments, I'd recommend using a different font format. BDF font files are very large, take a lot of time to parse, and the current driver
uses gobs of memory to load the font file.

You'd better try PCF or WinFNT instead if all you need is a bitmap font format.
It will be much much lighter for your CPU and RAM.

Regards,

- David Turner