Re: [ft-devel] FreeType development cycle

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType development cycle
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 21:44:55 +0100

Hi Moazin,

> I want to inquire about how FreeType devs, whenever they are fixing a bug or
> adding a new feature, code and test the new additions?

I think everyone has their own way of approaching it, just quickly highlighting
my approach and, TLDR; your approach pretty much sums it up IMO -- it can just
be optimised a bit.

> I have the following approach in mind:
>
> - Code the new stuff in the repo
> - Write a program (with a `main' function) that will eventually trigger the
>   "newly added" part somehow.
> - Use GDB to set a break point on the "newly added" part and then step through
>   it and confirm whether everything works or not.
> - Repeat
>
> This approach feels slow because for each new modification, the library as
> well as the program that uses it will have to be rebuilt. Is this the right
> approach? Is there a better one? Please let me know.

As for ideas:

  - Build automation via a simple shell script is HIGHLY advisable;  have a
    script that builds the library, builds your main program, links the lot, and
    also starts `gdb' with the desired settings and the desired input.  If that
    script is then somewhat customisable (e.g. define main features via simple
    variables), you're pretty well off :)

  - To speed up the build process of the library, spec. when only a few files
    are changed, look into `ccache';  it's hella crazy and should speed up
    your rebuild of FreeType dramatically :)

Best
Armin