[ft-devel] FreeType vs Gamma Correction

From: armin
Subject: [ft-devel] FreeType vs Gamma Correction
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 10:14:31 +0100

Nikolaus, Alexei,
  and everyone else :)

I would be very happy if you quickly helped me verify the correct process of
using FT to get _correct_ output rendering results (basically what Nikolaus
described in his article --
https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/text-rendering-general.html).  So
really, the best way to apply FreeType to any random surface.

My understanding of applying FreeType (the out-of-the-box version, no custom
configuration) is:

  1. Take any surface in _linear_ space (transform the surface to linear
space
     if required).

  2. Take any FreeType rendered bitmap and blend it with the surface however
     you wish (b/c the _standard_ output bitmap of FreeType is also in
linear
     space).

  3. Once done, _after_ blending, "gamma correct" the whole thing by
applying
     the sRGB transformation or the pow-function separately to every channel
     (R, G, B) of the blended result.  Paint the result and be done.

Please correct me where my assumptions are wrong (I also gladly accept links
to further reads) -- I'm just trying to finally clear out a lot of myths and
beliefs that I have about gamma correction in combination with FreeType;
also in respect to Veeki's GSoC project.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Armin