Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC'19] ftinspect update

From: Triplex
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC'19] ftinspect update
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 15:36:01 +0530

Hi Werner,

Thanks for the descriptive feedback and I'll make sure to
fix the issues ASAP.

* The biggest problem is that glyphs in the `ftview' mode aren't
  displayed with correct vertical positions.  This is serious bug and
  must be fixed ASAP – I think I reported this already six weeks
  ago...

This actually is a problem. I tried some ways to fix the same. I'll
try fixing the same ASAP.

* I don't like that there are tabs called `Ftview' or `Ftdiff'; a new
  user has no idea what this is for.  Instead, if you select one of
  the `modes' with the radio buttons, the tabs on the left side should
  change according to the mode (having functional names that helps the
  user in navigation), and/or features that don't fit should be greyed
  out.

I think you must have compiled the program from 'gsoc-2019-experimental'
branch. It's not completely updated. For the same reason I attached a small
introduction video.
So, options have been properly grayed out and tabs also have functional
names now.

Another issue is that selecting stuff from the tab suddenly changes
  the mode; for example, if I select `Grid View', then `Ftview->Render
  Mode->Stroked', the display no longer is in grid mode (but the radio
  button still shows it).  This must not happen.  As mentioned above,
  options that do not fit a mode must be disabled (or not displayed).

This also have been done.

* If a dark desktop theme gets used, the background of the main window
  becomes dark, too.  This is quite bad, since the various gray shades
  are no longer displayed correctly.  Please ensure that always a
  white background gets used.

This part I haven't had a look at. I'll make sure to fix it.

* `Segment Drawing' doesn't work correctly.  Segment lines appear for
  half a second, then they disappear again.  Additionally, it seems
  that if both horizontal and vertical auto-hinting is selected, even
  the short appearance can't be triggered.

This is not the case now. It works as it is expected to work.

  By the way, the segment lines are too thick now.  If the grid line
  has a thickness of 1px, I suggest that segment lines are 2px thick
  (i.e., ½px + 1px + ½px).

Sure! I'll make it a quick fix.

* The `All Glyphs' mode is mostly dysfunctional.  For example, the
  display doesn't get updated if I select auto-hinting.

Thanks for pointing out. I just noticed it. It was because of wrong functional
call.

Similarly,
  pressing the `+10' button (and friends) only adjusts a single, red
  outlined glyph that is always positioned in the center – what is
  this good for?

That was supposed to be disabled while changing to 'All Glyphs' and
now it is disable as soon as we change to other modes. Same goes for
'+10' button (and friends).

* Another issue with the `All Glyphs' mode: If I select a large size
  (say, 100px), I can't move the image around with my mouse.  Ditto
  for `Comparator' mode.

I disabled the drag mode in those modes. Since, everything
that was supposed to be viewed was displayed within the given
area. I didn't go through the possibility of changing pixel sizes in
these modes. Should I enable it back? And handle larger size in those
modes too?

* If I select a large size in `All Glyphs' mode, then select `Grid
  View' the size gets respected.  However, selecting `All Glyphs' mode
  again, the size jumps back to a default size of 20px.

This is also on purpose. Because otherwise user had to scroll over the
canvas to search for the results if the size is too large. Thus changing the
size makes it easy to notice the mode change.

* All modes except `Grid View' mode lag a lot if I change parameters,
  or if I move the panel with the mouse – this indicates a problem
  with the implementation.  Please fix that.  It must work as swift as
  the `Grid View' mode.

I'll see to that. Thanks for pointing it out.

* Please display number values on the Gamma scale (i.e., using a
  different widget for the scale).

Noted.

* The Gamma scale behaves strangely: selecting values at the very
  left, the image be brighter again!  This can't be correct.

Yeah, I guess. Although I followed the below solution to achieve the current
implementation.

* Gamma values should work in all modes, not only `Grid View'.

That is also completed.

Thank you for pointing out all the issues with details. I'll make sure
to resolve all ASAP.

--
Veeki