Compiling old version (2.6.5) of FreeType

From: Anurag Thakur
Subject: Compiling old version (2.6.5) of FreeType
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 07:55:55 +0000

Hello Werner, Alexei

I tried compiling FreeType version 2.6.5 to benchmark it against the current `master`, but faced some issues since it is a pretty old version.

I checked out the VER-2-6-5 tag on the repo and ran autogen.sh, which resulted in:

generating `configure.ac'
running `aclocal -I . --force'
running `libtoolize --force --copy --install'
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in '.'.
libtoolize: copying file './config.guess'
libtoolize: copying file './config.sub'
libtoolize: copying file './install-sh'
libtoolize: copying file './ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: Consider adding 'AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS([m4])' to configure.ac,
libtoolize: and rerunning libtoolize and aclocal.
libtoolize: Consider adding '-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
running `autoconf --force'
configure.ac:99: warning: The macro `AC_HEADER_STDC' is obsolete.
configure.ac:99: You should run autoupdate.
./lib/autoconf/headers.m4:704: AC_HEADER_STDC is expanded from...
configure.ac:99: the top level

Simply running configure and make seemed to work but then there were compilation errors in freetype-demos.

I tried checking out a ~2016 commit but couldn't really get it to compile.

Version 2.6.5 is important because the original font-rs post is from 2016, which used 2.6.5 as the benchmark for comparison.

The aim is to run FreeType 2.6.5 for benchmarking. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Regards,
Anurag