Google Summer of Code 2023

From: peter frane
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2023
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 01:40:08 +0800

To whom it may concern,

I am interested in participating in the project 'Integrate VFlib's TeX font support into FreeType'.

I have an in-depth knowledge of font formats (Type1, WOFF, and OpenType). I am also proficient in TeX/LaTeX and very familiar with its file formats such as DVI, TFM, and VF, and have knowledge of its PK raster format. I have written a Java program that converts a DVI to SVG and a C++ program that converts a DVI to PDF. I am planning to release them as open source.

Here's how I plan to approach this. If you want to integrate VFLIB into FreeType just to be able to handle the fonts supported by VFLIB, then my proposal is to convert the PK format into a raster font supported by FreeType. (Note that VFLIB also uses FreeType to handle vector fonts.) Alternatively, I am planning to create a VFLIB module that can be called by FreeType when the latter needs to handle TeX's bitmap format. Preferably, I prefer the former.

I would like to discuss more of this in an interview. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Peter D. Frane, Jr.

P.S. My GitHub page is at https://github.com/pgfjr?tab=repositories.