Re: FreeType's GSoC projects

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: FreeType's GSoC projects
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:14:04 +0000 (UTC)

[Please communicate via the 'freetype-devel' mailing list!]

Hello Ahmet,

> -Moved three fonts and texts that used in harfbuzz
>  benchmark. (https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/tree/main/perf)

For the time being it is OK to add such large files.  However, for
benchmarking FreeType's glyph rendering, this is completely useless
IMHO – we don't need stress and comparison tests for checking input
ligatures or glyph shaping.  Having, say, 100 glyphs per font (and
similarly sized text input files) are fully sufficient.  For this
reason it is probably a good idea to use a subsetter (for example,
https://fonttools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/subset/index.html) to
create small fonts based on common input fonts, to be added to the
repository instead.

> -Created a makefile that has baseline, benchmark and clean targets.
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype-demos/-/tree/ftbench-gsoc-goksu

As mentioned in another e-mail, the ftbench code should be added to
the 'freetype' git repository (in `src/tools` or a subdirectory of
it), not to 'freetype-demos'.  A 'make check' target for the FreeType
library should *not* depend on 'freetype-devel', I think.

> i will continue with developing meson and cmake if this is on the
> right track.

This is not urgent, but please proceed if you like :-)

    Werner