Re: Progress update on adjustments database branch.

From: Brad Neimann
Subject: Re: Progress update on adjustments database branch.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:50:57 +1000

Hi all,

On this issue, I’ve noticed a particularly egregious example in the past few days: around 20 ppem, with autohinting enabled, ⟨ñ⟩ in Noto Sans Regular consistently renders with a horizontal bar, so as to be indistinguishable from ⟨n̄⟩. As Werner mentioned some time ago, this particular character may not be a huge problem in practise, but it would be nice to get this fixed nonetheles. I note especially that --- at least on my machine --- popular sites like Wikipedia and Reddit render in precisely this font at that size.

(This issue actually has an interesting story behind it... after getting fed up with scaling issues in Emacs with my HiDPI laptop screen, I decided to try out Wayland. Indeed, Wayland fixed all my rendering issues, allowing my lower-resolution external monitors to be rendered at their correct resolution rather than being downscaled 2×. But that also meant the hinter finally needed to do some actual work, meaning this issue suddenly became obvious. I suspect this issue also indicates that, for some reason, my computer has been autohinting everything... it is a testament to the quality of Freetype that I never noticed this before!)

Regards,
Brad