freetype

Re: Some Tibetan characters aren't rendered correctly with ffmpeg.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Some Tibetan characters aren't rendered correctly with ffmpeg.
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 19:05:38 +0200 (CEST)

[please don't send HTML e-mails to this list, and even worse, don't
make mailers believe that it is plain text...]

> I'm trying to use ffmpeg drawtext filter to render Tibetan text to
> videos. But some characters aren't rendered correctly.
>
> what I expected render output:
> Actual render output:

There weren't any images in your e-mail.

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62458321/ffmpeg-drawtext-support-for-tibetan-fonts

Thanks for the link.

> I wonder is this a bug or I missed some configuration?  and who
> should I contact for support, you or ffmpeg people?

Tibetan is a complex script that needs a sophisticated layout engine.
As the stackoverflow comment says, you have to use the Pango library
(or something similar like Qt or ICU) to correctly render Tibetan.

FreeType's job is much more low-level; essentially, its takes a glyph
index and renders it into a bitmap.

    Werner