freetype

RE: COLR V1 Support & FT_Load_Glyph

From: stephan
Subject: RE: COLR V1 Support & FT_Load_Glyph
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:14:54 -0600

My apologies for the delayed response.

With respect to support for the rasterization of color glyphs using COLR V0
or V1 when using the FT_Load_Glyph for instance, I do believe this is
something that FreeType should support.

I do agree that support for Kern and OpenType tables such as GPOS and GSUB
is not something that FreeType should support since this is not
rasterization related. It is more specific to text layout. By contrast,
rasterization of glyphs regardless of their encoding format should be
something that FreeType supports natively.

 > Right now, the easiest solution is to stick with an older NotoColorEmoji
font.

I agree but unfortunately Google decided to replace the older version of
this font by the newer version using COLR V1 on Google fonts.