fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] [HELP!] Apple iPad press work

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] [HELP!] Apple iPad press work
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:30:25 +0000

Simon Bridge wrote:

> We don't care about flash because we want people to use ogg/theora video
> in html5 <video> tags. Does Safari do this yet?

Video codecs don't do what Flash does, Flash is a virtual environment
that happens to be widely used for video (I'm not sure why, as native
video players generally work far better in my limited experience).

As far as I'm aware Safari doesn't play Theora without a free software
pluging (Xiphqt), but I don't use Safari except for the odd bit of web
site testing so I'm not an expert.

I understand Safari does support HTML5 video tag, but the standard
doesn't mandate supporting the Theora codec AIUI.

> In fact - the first release
> looks to be the most oppressive product they've had yet.

Indeed, but I think the not supporting "Flash" is worth understanding.

It doesn't support Flash because Flash provides a way to run
applications not delivered via the Apple store.

i.e. It is so restrictive they deliberately hobble your web experience
in case you find a new way of using it without paying them more money.

Many people understand what Flash is, or at least that it is a "plugin",
and I think one can mention it's lack and WHY, without promoting
proprietary software, since any free equivalents to flash (Which
presumably would include free JREs) will also not be available.

I think people will assume Flash doesn't work because Adobe aren't keen,
or it hasn't been made available etc. I think pushing the message that
Apple don't want you to have it is useful in promoting freedom, although
don't push it too hard as Apple could always relent on Flash, the issue
is that Apple is making the decision for you, not what decision they make.

It is a fine line to walk, as I think tightly controlled centralised
software repositories are a very good idea, and something free software
operating systems do far better than most (all?) proprietary ones. It is
the mandating of the repository that I oppose.

What state is the hardware endorsement programme? As I'm not aware of
100% free software tablets. The Nokia N900 is essentially Debian by all
reports, but has non-free components to make key aspects work. I'm not
clear where Android standard in this regard.